Women: Our Changing Bodies
If you’re not the type of woman that regularly examines south of her body, you might not realize that, just like the rest of your body, your vagina is aging.
While it may be uncomfortable for some, aging is a fact of life that knowing the changes of these is normal and can offer comfort during those times of change. Don’t be fooled with how many candles are on your birthday cake, every woman (and vagina) is different. Timing for menstruation, sexual activity, pregnancy, and menopause differ for everyone but here are some general things you can expect.
In Your 20s:
- Puberty is over (phew!)
- Labia major (outer “lips”) that border your privates start slimming down as the subcutaneous fat decreases.
In Your 30s:
- Labia minora (“inner lips” that encircle the clitoris and vaginal opening) start to darken.
- Typically, pregnancy happens and your uterus balloons as big as a watermelon and shrinks down within weeks after birth due to the vagina’s elastic quality and women can even experience varicose veins due to the weight of their uterus during pregnancy
- Hormonal imbalances during and after pregnancy can cause vaginal dryness and libido.
In Your 40s:
- Urinary incontinence. This naturally happens as you age and can happen at any stage to women and men.Some causes include:
- Aging bladder can affect the strength and ability to store urine.
- Pregnancy: stress from the weight of the uterus can lead to stress incontinence.
- Vaginal childbirth. Delivering vaginally can weaken muscles needed for bladder control
- After menopause women produce less estrogen, a hormone that helps keep the lining of the bladder and urethra healthy. Deterioration of these tissues can aggravate incontinence.
In your 50s:
- Decreasing estrogen leads to thinner, less elastic, drier vulvar and vaginal tissue, which can make intimate moments feel painful and cause irritation that can make you feel like you need to urinate.
- Changing pH: changing levels of estrogen can make the vagina more acidic and more susceptible to infection.
In Your 60s:
- Menopausal hot flashes and night sweats
- 50-60% of women report vaginal dryness and intimate pain causing pelvic floor tightness that may be helped by physical therapy.
- If looseness is your problem, some postmenopausal women are at risk for a serious change called prolapse, which is when the connective tissues holding the uterus, cervix, or even the bowels loosens, allowing those body parts to…droop. This can be unnoticeable or so severe that parts actually protrude out of the vagina. In some cases, women may need surgery to repair the damage.
As you continue to age, it’s important to keep an eye on your unique path and what you can do to take care of your health. At La Belle Vie Medical Care & Aesthetics, we understand the changing nature of women’s health and offer procedures and education to help our valued clients.
FemiLift is a laser sleeve that is inserted into the vagina and delivers laser energy into the surrounding tissue. It uses micro-ablative energy (fractional CO2 laser energy pulses) to achieve a deep thermal effect, which stimulates collagen renewal as well as the contraction of the elastic fibers. The result is rejuvenation and remodeling of the treated area.
Patients who choose vaginal tightening with FemiLift enjoy several important benefits:
- Enhanced muscle tone, strength, and elasticity of vaginal tissues
- Stronger sensation during intercourse
- Better control over urinary incontinence
- Fewer infections
O-Shot™ : Our staff of female Nurse Practitioners are at the forefront of the newest treatments to correct problems including incontinence and dryness, as well as those that enhance sexual satisfaction and improve orgasms. We have your total sexuality covered! We are the experts in your vaginal health with the latest technologies that are safe, non-surgical, medication-free and pain-free solutions to vaginal changes from childbirth and the natural aging process. It’s like we have discovered the “Fountain of Youth for your vagina.”
Benefits of O-Shot™ Treatment
We are all unique and all different. As with any medical treatment, there will be varying levels of reaction. Some women who have received The O-Shot™ treatment by La Belle Vie Aesthetics report the following benefits:
- Younger, smoother skin of the vulva (lips of the vagina).
- A tighter introitus (vaginal opening)
- Stronger and more frequent orgasm
- Increased sexual desire
- Increased ability to have a vaginal orgasm
- Decreased pain for those with dyspareunia (painful intercourse)
- Increased natural lubrication
- Decreased urinary incontinence (both urge and stress problems)